Members who are graduating high school seniors 19 years old or younger are encouraged to apply for a David P. Smay Scholarship worth $1,000 towards college tuition.
This year’s scholarship essay topic is: “Think of a setback or failure you experienced and explain how it helped you achieve future successes.”
All submissions are due by Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
To apply, you must be:
- A Credit Union member with all accounts in good standing.
- A graduating high school senior, 19 years of age or younger.
- A thoughtful essay with a title (double-spaced, two pages maximum, eleven point font minimum) on the topic above.
- Your transcript(s) reflecting all four years of high school, including any Honors or AP courses, as well as your cumulative, un-weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- A list of your extracurricular and community activities and work history.
- Scholarship submissions must include a cover sheet with your name, CFCU member number, home address, phone number, email address, name of the post-secondary school you plan to attend, and your college student ID number (if available).
- Submissions can be dropped off at any branch, mailed to Scholarships, P.O. Box 2069, Oakland, CA 94604-2069, or emailed to [email protected].
- Submissions will be graded on a point system.
- The submission deadline is Wednesday, May 1, 2019. Mailed submissions must be postmarked by May 1, 2019, and email submissions must be received by midnight on May 1, 2019.
Winners are normally announced no later than May 31.
The Credit Union will award the David P. Smay Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 to each winning submission. Please email us at [email protected] or call us at 510-627-5000 or 800-232-8101 if you have any questions.